The Student News Site of Parkersburg South High School

Continental Clarion

Continental Clarion

Continental Clarion

A Record Breaking Game

On Friday, August, 25, 2023, the Parkersburg South Patriot Football Team, took on the Capital High Cougars. This game was monumental for various reasons, including setting a new school record.
After intense scrimmages, The Patriots easily secured the first victory of the season, with an astonishing final score of 83-26. The game started with Gage Wright scoring a touchdown on the opening kickoff. Other scorers included Devon Forshey, Eli Bartley, Jaxton Lords, Turner Garretson, Tristan Walker, Colin Hayes, and Kinzyn Lutchmansingh.

The final touchdown set a new school record, surpassing the previous scoring record that was set against Wheeling Park in 2012. Alongside setting a new school record, they set one against Capital High, being the only school in the state scoring above 80 points against them.

QB Turner Garretson shared a thought on the game, “We are more powerful than them, they just didn’t bring it like we did.” Garretson is looking forward to the upcoming game on September 1, against University High. “They are going to be a better team, but we should have no trouble with them as long as we come ready to play,” Garretson states. Along with Garretson, Maddox Rader was a team captain for the game. Rader states, “We definitely out weight roomed them.” He continued on to say how their offensive line may seem small, but they are stronger than Capital’s team is. Rader is looking forward to the upcoming game saying, “We gotta do the same thing we did, but we need to clean stuff up and call plays out faster and louder.”

The team is on the road again, heading to University in Morgantown, September 1.